1. The Afterglow. Wow. That was…wow. Hand me a cigarette, would you? And that bottle of whiskey.
2. The Replay. Did you see how I wrapped up that nagging plot thread at the end? And that climactic scene…that was amazing. I’m amazing.
3. The Exit. Well, this was fun, but it’s time send it to beta readers. Not that they’re going to find anything to comment on, right?
4. The Send Off. Enjoy, beta readers! You’re in for a treat.
5. The Next Thing. I should start a new project.
6. The Worry. It’s been 24 hours. Why haven’t the betas gotten back to me? Didn’t they stay up all night, red-eyed and weeping, unable to put my book down? What’s wrong with them?
7. The Reassurance. They’re probably just taking their time to enjoy it. Yeah. Yeah.
8. The Temptation. I should call them.
9. The Resistance. No. Be strong. You’re not that needy.
10. The Questioning. Are you?
11. The Distraction. Come on, man. Get it together. They’re a busy person. They’re probably not spending all their time reading your book. They have to…work, or sleep, or some shit. Just write this short story until they get back to you. That’ll keep you busy.
12. The Failure. I hate this short story.
13. The Dark Turn. I bet the betas hate my book.
14. The Darker Turn. I hate my book.
15. The Peek. It can’t be as bad as I remember. I’ll just read some of it over…
16. The Reveal. Huh. Didn’t remember that dropped subplot. Or that vanishing character. Or that name switch.
17. The Hope. Maybe they won’t notice.
18. The Truth. They’ll notice.
19. The Horror. Fuck me, another plot hole? And where did that guy come from? What happened to that guy’s head? How many problems are there in this thing? How did I not notice them before? Was I fucking blind?
20. The Scramble. Maybe…maybe the betas haven’t started yet. Yeah. Sure. They’re busy people. Maybe I can fix all this before they read it and email them another version. A better version. Yeah. That’ll work. Then they never need to know how I–
21. The Notification. Was that my email alert?
22. The Return. Shit.
23. The Resignation. Well, as long as they sent it back, I might as well see how bad it is. They must have hated it. It’s got so many problems. Maybe the comments they left will make it easier to give up writing and become a wandering kung-fu master.
24. The Comments. Wow…this…this isn’t as bad as I thought. I mean, yeah, there’s issues, but…they liked it. Mostly. Except for these bits…and I didn’t like those, either, so…
25. The Rewrite. I can fix all of this! Crank up the atomic turbines and brew the coffee! I’m going back in!